Sunday, February 27, 2011

things I'll regret saying in front of Claire

"That is totally freaking me out."

I said it a few weeks ago when Lord Honey played a YouTube video clip of dancing babies who also break dance, ride skateboards down flights of stairs, and roller blade.  All wearing things just short of wife beater t-shirts and gold necklaces, and with moves to match the clothes, so I was justifiably freaked out.  I knew immediately it was a bad idea because she found ways to use the phrase appropriately within minutes.  She stopped saying it eventually and I was somewhat relieved that she was less freaked out. 

Yesterday, as we drove away from the home of her future husband who was celebrating his fifth birthday in style, Claire used the phrase again.

Mommy: Did you have a good time at the party? Is Logan your boyfriend today?
Claire: He is my boyfriend every day. 
Mommy: You don't say that on the days when he hits you, or when he won't let you hug him at school.
Claire:  I always love him, Mommy.
Mommy: Well, I don't think you should marry him if he hits you.

Claire:  Well, sometimes he hits me because I freak out. 
Mommy: Why do you freak out, Claire?  I don't understand.

Claire: Sometimes I think he is going to hit me and I just freak out, and then he does hit me.

I am now officially freaked out, myself.

2 comments:

  1. Good lord. I think she might need a restraining order. Already. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would freak out too. That is not a good start to a relationship.

    (Was that the Evian advert you saw? I hate those dancing babies. They freak me out totally too.)

    ReplyDelete