Thursday, August 20, 2009

the sun, the moon, and my little girls

Boy howdy, is that girl clever! You could say this about either of my girls, since while Claire has learned how to impress me verbally, Hannah has learned to scream with a zeal I didn't know she had. The bladder infection came after the screaming so I don't think that had much to do with it. I think Hannah screams because she knows it is a powerful act.

As we spent a few minutes on the porch at sunset, Hannah squealed with apparent pleasure and stuck her hand out toward the sky. Claire said "Mama, Hannah wants the sun." I said "she might want the moon." A moment of silence. "Hannah doesn't like the moon, but I do." A moment later, "where did the sun go?" I tell her it is busy lighting up another part of the earth. "Does the sun fly?" Almost, I tell her. She tells me the sun is the earth's baby. I don't know where to go with this one. She changes gears, and says "Mama, the moon looks like a boat, like this" and she shapes her tiny wee finger like a crescent moon, and adds, "it looks like a baby's cradle."

My first baby, three years and three months old and counting. And using similes.

No comments:

Post a Comment